1.01.2009

Goneril of "King Lear"

[I,1,55]
Sir, I love you more than words can wield the matter; 
Dearer than eyesight, space, and liberty; 
Beyond what can be valued, rich or rare; 
No less than life, with grace, health, beauty, honour; 
As much as child e'er lov'd, or father found; 
A love that makes breath poor, and speech unable. 
Beyond all manner of so much I love you.

[I,3,507]
By day and night, he wrongs me! Every hour 
He flashes into one gross crime or other 
That sets us all at odds. I'll not endure it. 


[I,3,517]
Put on what weary negligence you please, 
You and your fellows. I'd have it come to question. 
If he distaste it, let him to our sister, 
Whose mind and mine I know in that are one, 
Not to be overrul'd. Idle old man, 
That still would manage those authorities 
That he hath given away! Now, by my life, 
Old fools are babes again, and must be us'd 
With checks as flatteries, when they are seen abus'd. 
Remember what I have said.

[I,4,722]
Not only, sir, this your all-licens'd fool, 
But other of your insolent retinue 
Do hourly carp and quarrel, breaking forth 
In rank and not-to-be-endured riots. Sir, 
I had thought, by making this well known unto you, 
To have found a safe redress, but now grow fearful, 
By what yourself, too, late have spoke and done, 
That you protect this course, and put it on 
By your allowance; which if you should, the fault 
Would not scape censure, nor the redresses sleep, 
Which, in the tender of a wholesome weal, 
Might in their working do you that offence 
Which else were shame, that then necessity 
Must call discreet proceeding.

[I,4,859]
Safer than trust too far. 
Let me still take away the harms I fear, 
Not fear still to be taken. I know his heart.

[IV,2,2350]
[to Edmund] Then shall you go no further. 
It is the cowish terror of his spirit, 
That dares not undertake. He'll not feel wrongs 
Which tie him to an answer. Our wishes on the way 
May prove effects. Back, Edmund, to my brother. 
Hasten his musters and conduct his pow'rs. 
I must change arms at home and give the distaff 
Into my husband's hands. This trusty servant 
Shall pass between us. Ere long you are like to hear 
(If you dare venture in your own behalf) 
A mistress's command. Wear this. [Gives a favour.] 
Spare speech. 
Decline your head. This kiss, if it durst speak, 
Would stretch thy spirits up into the air. 
Conceive, and fare thee well.

[IV,2,2366]
My most dear Gloucester! 
O, the difference of man and man! 
To thee a woman's services are due; 
My fool usurps my body.

[IV,2,2395]
Milk-liver'd man! 
That bear'st a cheek for blows, a head for wrongs; 
Who hast not in thy brows an eye discerning 
Thine honour from thy suffering; that not know'st 
Fools do those villains pity who are punish'd 
Ere they have done their mischief. Where's thy drum? 
France spreads his banners in our noiseless land, 
With plumed helm thy state begins to threat, 
Whiles thou, a moral fool, sit'st still, and criest 
'Alack, why does he so?'

Selected from William Shakespeare's KING LEAR
Source from http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/

沒有留言:

張貼留言